Web Based Time and Attendance Software
Companies can implement web based time and attendance systems to provide scalable software packages throughout their organization, without the burden of large up-front expenses and increased maintenance costs. Instead, these burdens are placed on the software vendor or host. In exchange, the web-based software provider will charge a monthly or annual subscription fee for their service. Also known as software-as-a-service (SAAS), or cloud-based software, web based software providers now offer their services to every aspect of the business world. As companies grow larger and more geographically diverse, the labor and infrastructure cost savings associated with migrating to web-based time and attendance systems grows exponentially. Understanding how to leverage web-based time and attendance will help your organization operate more efficiently.
Web Based Software Trends
With current trends toward lean organizations and globalization, more and more organizations are outsourcing their time and attendance systems to a web based software provider. According to a recent Forbes article, over half of US businesses use cloud computing services at this point. Whether your organization is a small business with a manageable workforce, or a large multinational enterprise with multiple offices, hosting a time and attendance solution in the cloud may be a viable option.
Benefits of Web Based Software
Web based time and attendance solutions offer a number of clear benefits:
- Subscription to web based time and attendance software eliminates large up-front capital expenses
- Implementing a web based time and attendance system is immediate, and doesn’t require a team of IT professionals to install
- Cloud-based software does not require investment in new PCs, servers or network infrastructure, as it is hosted and run off-site
- Web based software allows an organization to focus its resources on its core business, rather than on supporting and maintaining an in-house solution
- Web based time and attendance software allows easy scalability as an organization grows
- Updates and upgrades are instantly available through the web without any assistance from an in house IT department
Risks Associated With Web Based Software
There are also a few unique risks involved with migrating to web-based time and attendance software:
- Sensitive employee information is hosted on the time and attendance software vendor’s server, so security is critical
- Web-based software will only function if an organization’s internet connection is active, so ensure a high-quality internet service provider (ISP)
- If the cloud hosting provider ceases to exist, you may lose your time and attendance software as well as historical data
Summary of Web Based Time and Attendance Systems
Despite potential risks, there are many benefits associated with web-based time and attendance software. As long as an organization performs its due diligence in selecting the ideal time and attendance solution, they will realize huge benefits that come with cloud-based Saas solutions: lower startup costs, simple maintenance, and instant updates/upgrades. When an organization is choosing between various time and attendance systems, it’s critical to consider a web-based software solution.